Roadside Spraying
The Public Works Department has an active vegetation management program that includes ditch cleaning, mowing, brush cutting, and roadside spraying within county Right-of-Ways. Although most methods are used throughout the year as time allows, spraying herbicides is typically limited to spring through fall and always subject to weather conditions.  The purpose of spraying is to control vegetation and noxious weeds within the Right-of-Way and, in most locations, will extend four to eight feet from the edge of pavement.  It is our goal to provide roadways that are safe and economical to maintain by using best management practices which are friendly to the environment and residents of the county.

Impacts to roadways without proper vegetation control may include:

  • Poor visibility of signage, corners and intersections

  • Reduced safety in emergency stop areas

  • Restricted or uneven bike lane widths

  • Pavement deterioration and cracking

  • Flooding or other drainage problems

Although conditions may vary, the department generally limits its herbicide application to Glyphosate (Wynca USA®, RoundUp®, etc.) used in combination with a spray adjuvant or surfactant (drift agent) such as Liberate®. Links to Safety Data Sheets for several common products can be found at the bottom of this page for reference.

Property owners who do not want herbicide sprayed along their frontage property (within the Right-of-Way) can apply for a Private Maintenance Area permit through the Public Works Department which must be updated annually. The permit allows for a property owner to maintain their “portion” of the roadside, at the property owner’s expense, to county standards.  The permit fee of $135 is good for three (3) years and includes County provided signage; however permits do need to be renewed annually.  After three (3) consecutive renewals, a $45 permit reinstatement fee applies which allows for permits to be renewed annually an additional three times.  If you wish to apply for a Private Maintenance Area permit please visit the Public Works Office at 918 18th Street in Hood River or see the application link below.

Please be advised that areas marked with "homemade" no-spray signs will still be sprayed, mowed, or otherwise maintained by the county as needed.  Areas covered by permits that are not renewed during the specified time (stated in permit) may also be sprayed as needed.
 Safety Data Sheets and Permit Applications
Home | County Departments | Job Openings | Agenda and Minutes | County Charter | Elections | County Maps | Get READY Gorge! Preparedness tips | News | The History Museum | Library | Events | Helpful Links | Adopt-a-Dog
Printer-friendly Version